Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Comfort Movies

Let's be honest: I have comfort movies. When I'm feeling blue or icky, I just want to curl up with a blanket and a cup of hot soup and a movie. Now, my dear friend Kelli has fantastically comforting comfort movies, like Anne of Green Gables and The Big Green. These movies actually have qualities that soothe, tickle, and cheer.

My comfort movies look a little different. Don't judge; I like to escape into an adventure, okay?

1. The Mummy
This movie came out right before my family made the gihugic move from Washington to Colorado. That summer, I learned this movie word-for-word. I can still remember the lines from my favorite scene in the library:
"Socrates, Seth Volume 1, Volume 2, and Volume 3. T-Tuthmosis? What are you doing here? T, t, t, t, t--T. I'm going to put you where you belong." Which is where she knocks down every single shelf in the library.

2. Godzilla
Nick Tatopoulos, played by Matthew Broderick, would be my friend. He's a nerd, he's sweet, he fights a giant nuclear lizard that he actually doesn't want to destroy, etc, etc. My favorite thing about this movie is that it takes place largely in the rain. I love rain in movies, especially night rain. I'm not sure why.

3. Star Trek (2009)
I'm not even going to get started on why Star Trek anything comforts me, but I will say this: it's in my blood.

4. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
He's a hero. He's romantic. He shoots arrows while barrels of gun powder explode behind him. What more does a girl need when she's feeling blue?

5. Jurassic Park
This is the one that I'm currently watching. I love the characters, the awesome dinosaurs, and (of course) the scene in the night rain. I tell ya, that night rain really comforts me. Even when the T-rex has just escaped and is eating people. Soothing. So so soothing. Plus, I have always crushed on Sam Neill. And also, the velociraptors are wicked cool.

No comments: