Friday, April 9, 2010

9 o'clock songbird

It is springtime.
Visual.

The days are almost 12 hours long. Life is in balance at the same time as it is renewing itself. What a great time of year! (Now, my bosom-buddy season is actually Winter, but Winter is the kind of bosom buddy that you can only tolerate for so long.) (Don't tell Winter that I just told you that.) As part of this season, the songbirds are officially out and about. As I am also out and about, I have learned that these songbirds have certain schedules.

Every day at 9am, I walk through the doors of the Jesse Knight Building (JKB). And every day at 9am, there is a fat robin perched on the highest branch of the tree just outside the doors of the JKB. I can hear him singing all the way across the courtyard (which constitutes a five minute walk). He is loud and he is proud and I worry that he is going to snap that little branch one of these days. But until he does, he will be my 9 o'clock songbird, heralding my entrance to the JKB.

You know what else is great about spring besides the occasional avian herald? Graduation. I have five classes left. Total. And Elder D. Todd Christofferson will be speaking at my commencement ceremony. And I will receive my degree two weeks from today. That is what is great about spring.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the Provo City Library to pick up the one thing that will make this spring even better: the Anne of Green Gables DVD.

Thus:
True love, Gilbert Blythe.

No comments: